Blog Bowman

Google

Friday, January 27, 2006

Gateway is just like Dell--Crappy Service

I bought a Gateway laptop 7422GX about a year ago because the specifications on it were the best bang for the buck. I have to say the computer itself was sweet. Since the purchase time, I have wiped the computer out just once with the preinstall recovery software provided by Gateway. Everything went smoothly! My girlfriend has a Gateway laptop 7210GX model and I had a terrible time whipping out her computer. There was no recovery method preinstalled on the computer. There was no back up version of the software or an image of the hard drive on a different partition. The only recovery option I saw on the computer was a directory that had all the drivers and other critical OS components. It was a back up of the C drive but it was located on the C drive. Therefore, you cannot restore those files while being on the same drive you are trying to restore. Who ever at Gateway was in charge of setting this feature up on her laptop did a terrible job. On top of it all, I went to the Gateway support site and most of the driver they provide with this laptop did not even work. A good friend and I were out on the internet trying to find the correct drivers for all the hardware components. Luckily we did after a few days of searching high and low. I just want to say --> GATEWAY, YOU SUCK!

Shhoeee, I feel a lot better =)

4 Comments:

  • You wanna see bullshit, call Dell. Most of the people who answer the phone not only don't speak English, but they're rude and surly. And you know I love Dell.

    At least, their not knowing what they're doing scored me a free case for my mp3 player:)

    By Blogger Pragmatik, at 12:15 AM  

  • Need Service? Email me. I can sometimes even provide you pc service remotely!!!

    By Blogger Mark Brown, at 9:52 AM  

  • The recovery partition is always on the D drive. You are sooooo full of shit. You can call Gateway to have them send you recovery media free of charge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 PM  

  • The 7210GX comes with a recovery disc. It was manufactured for 4th quarter '04 and Gateway didn't start putting recovery partitions on their computers unitl 1st quarter '05.

    The backup file mentioned in the OP wasn't a reference to the recovery partition, but to a "My Backup" folder created when running a non-destructive Restore. Usually the folder just contains a backup of your Documents and Settings Folder that you can later use to overwrite user account folders to put your old account back on the computer. The bad thing about doing this is that if the account you put back in was corrupted, you could end up running your recovery software again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home